Precisely two weeks after a shooting involving singer Burna Boy’s escort and a couple at the Club Cubana in Victoria Island, Lagos State, the Chairman of Cubana Group, Obinna Iyiegbu, popularly known as Obi Cubana, has addressed the issue.
Punch Metro reported that one of the Grammy Award-winning singer’s escorts reportedly shot and wounded two patrons of the club, Lawrence and Tolu, in the early hours of Wednesday, June 8, 2022.
The Nigerian Police Force had revealed that it would invite the self-acclaimed ‘African Giant’ for questioning as it seeks to probe the incident, noting that the police personnel involved in the shooting had been “taken into custody and are being investigated for their involvement in the incident,” the Force Public Relations Officer, CSP Olumuyiwa Adejobi said last Monday.
But as the public awaits the result of the police’s investigation, the lady who Burna Boy was accused of making passes at, leading to the shooting, broke her silence on Sunday.
She revealed that Obi Cubana only reached out to them four days after the incident and had yet to release a close circuit tv footage or press statement on the issue.
She revealed that “one of Burna Boy’s friends walked to talk to me, his request was for Burna Boy to talk to me.
“On that first attempt, I told him I wasn’t interested in talking to Burna Boy and I am married to my partner. He came again the second time and was met with the same response.
“He came the third time and that caused a few of our friends to flare up as they asked why he kept coming to disturb me. There were words back and forth and one of Burna Boy’s friends attacked one of our friends, and as they attacked him, the situation degenerated into a fight.
“The shootings happened twice at different times. His friends were also shooting at people trying to evacuate the club through the main entrance.
“They were out to kill and didn’t care who got hit. My partner’s head was bleeding profusely and his friend lost so much blood he needed a donor As soon as he got to the hospital.
“@burnaboygram left @cubanalagos without a scratch and flew out to Spain the next morning. @obi_cubana only reached out to us four days after the event claiming he had no idea and would do everything to get us justice for attempted murder.
“11 days later, there has been no CCTV footage released by the club OR even a statement to address the incident publicly. The business has carried on as usual for him.”
However, amidst backlashes online over the club’s silence on the matter, Obi Cubana on Monday, addressed the incident openly for the first time, adding that the management has given all information to the legal authorities to “handle all”.
He also sympathised with “those who may have been impacted” by the incident.
On his Instagram page on Monday, Obi Cubana wrote, “As regards the issues making rounds the social media, we at Cubana Group have given all information at our disposal to the legal authorities.
“However, we wholeheartedly sympathise with any/all those who may have been impacted by this. I and our group would never compromise standards, as we have confidence in the authorities to handle all. Best regards.”