The Lagos State Fire Service has said that overheating of the Household of David church’s auditorium ceiling led to the fire incident on Wednesday.
According to The PUNCH, the spokesperson for the Lagos State Fire Service, Amodu Shakiri revealed that the over heated ceiling eventually collapsed and ignited the blaze.
The Household of David church, located on Surulere Street, Adeniyi Jones, in the Ikeja Local Government Area of Lagos State suffered a significant loss as its multi-million naira church auditorium was engulfed by a fierce fire.
According to reports from The PUNCH, the fire broke out at approximately10:00 am on Wednesday.
He added that the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service’s Alausa and Ikeja Fire Stations, LASAMBUS, LASEMA, and Red Cross were the relevant agencies present at the scene.
Shakiri said the property damaged by the fire included the church’s furnishings and the auditorium.
He said, “The fire was however made to confine within the church’s auditorium it started from while salvaging adjoining properties. The relevant agencies involved were the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, Alausa and Ikeja fire stations, LASAMBUS, LASEMA, and Red Cross. And the property involved in the destruction of the fire included the auditorium and church-hold items.
Reacting to the tragedy, the Senior Pastor of Household of David, Olusola Osunmakinde, in a video on Instagram, said, “It is a painful experience.”
According to Osunmakinde, a passerby made fun of him by inquiring, “Where was Jesus when this happened?”
He said the church’s air conditioners, chairs, and other equipment were all burnt.